How sex selection work?
Each genetic parent contributes half of a baby’s genetic make-up. The female is genetically an XX and therefore she can only contribute an X chromosome to the child. The male parent of the child is XY and can therefore contribute either an X or a Y chromosome to the child. When an X bearing sperm fertilizes an egg, a girl is conceived with the XX chromosomal make-up. When a Y bearing sperm fertilizes an egg, a boy is conceived with the XY chromosomal make-up. Typically, there is approximately a 50/50 chance of conceiving either a female or a male child. Scientists believe that X sperms are bigger than Y sperm. Therefore, X sperm move slowly. PH of the uterus, which is naturally slightly acidic, affects the lifespan of sperms. Y sperms are less durable in uterus but X sperms live longer in acidic environment. Environmental factors such as feeding mother, her mental health, intercourse time, vaginal PH levels in the mother during intercourse, and social factors all can affect a woman having a boy or girl.
Methods of fetal sex selection before conception
Today we can distinguish baby’s gender through using an ultrasound after 14 weeks of pregnancy. But, if ultrasound result is contrary to the wishes of parents, it would not be favorable. Today we can select your desirable child’s gender with high probability before fertilization. For this purpose, it is enough to select one of the following ways:
- The right nutrition: Y sperm require a PH balance that is more alkalai than acidic. In order to have a girl, you need to focus on foods that will boost acidity in your body. They include foods that are rich in calcium and magnesium. In order to have a boy, a diet rich in potassium and sodium is required. They are non-acidic by nature and will boost your alkalinity.
- The right time: the timing of when you have intercourse can greatly affect the gender of your child. Because the Y sperm need to reach the egg as quickly as possible, it is necessary to time intercourse to the day that you ovulate to increase your chance of having a boy. They will be able to reach the egg while it and they are still viable. But in order to have a girl, you need to give the Y sperm time to die off, leaving the more durable X sperm behind. This means that you will need to time intercourse to approximately two to three days before ovulation. This gives the X sperm more than enough time to reach the egg.
- The right position: the position you choose for intercourse can also determine the sex of your child. Once again, we fall back to the differences between sperm. The Y sperm need to reach their destination in as little time as possible. This means that they need to be released as close to the cervix as possible, shortening the trip they must take to the egg. Positions that allow for deep penetration are ideal. In order to have a girl, you need to make it more difficult for the Y sperm to reach their target on time. This means that positions where shallow penetration is achieved are necessary. The sperm will be deposited further away from the cervix, giving the X sperm the chance they need to reach the egg, and allowing the Y sperm to die off.
- The right sperm count: Obviously, a low sperm count to begin with doesn’t favor either sex. But a high sperm count favors boys. When trying for a boy, don’t have sex for 3- 4 days before you reach the target date a day or two before ovulation! For girls, have sex every day from day=1 or day=5 and stop 3 days before ovulation.
- The right Orgasm: For a boy, the woman should try to achieve multiple female orgasms. The theory on this is that the waves of the orgasm help to draw up the sperm quicker to the egg, again the boys getting a head start on the girls. For a girl, it is recommended women avoid orgasm.
- Preimplantation Genetic Diagnosis (PGD): This is the most effective technique in sex selection. With nearly 100% accuracy and the ability to select not only sex but a healthy embryo makes it very popular. In this method, stimulate women ovulation by drugs in order to create several eggs. Then, sperms and eggs incorporate in vitro. As a result, several embryos will produce. A biopsy of embryo has taken and then genetic specialist check karyotype in order to detect favourable embryo. Then favourable embryo implant in mother’s womb. PGD- IVF as an advanced technique in the world, not only provides the opportunity to choose the sex of the fetus, but also can prevent genetic disease before fertilization. First baby sex determination in Iran through PGD technique was a boy that was born healthy in 2006.
All method except PGD – IVF is natural techniques which can perform with you under supervising doctor. But PGD- IVF must perform by specialist in infertility clinics. This method has nearly 100% percent confidence, whereas natural methods have 80% percent confidence in best estimation.
Advantages of sex selection
- A more balanced family and allows your children to feel wanted.
- As more parents choose their children with success, there will be more love to go around, less rejection, and a reduction in family size.
- Many couples have large families simply as the result of perpetual attempts to have a son or daughter.Many couples have large families simply as the result of perpetual attempts to have a son or daughter.
- In some cases, there will of course be more tangible necessity to choosing the sex of the child, such as when there is a chance of the child inheriting a sex-related disease.